Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What are the benefits of knowing and using ASL?

Hola!

President's Day weekend are always the best. I had time to relax and watch some movies over the weekend, and also watch the Olympics! I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Sadly, the missionaries weren't able to celebrate President's Day, haha. In the past week, I've seen a significant improvement with their language but their motivation level isn't so good right now. They're tired of doing the same thing over and over. I strongly believe it's the MTC food and the schedule that they're not so accustomed to. We, as teachers, strive to come up with a variety of ideas of how to teach them in a fun way. Don't all teachers do that? If you do have an idea that will be effective for us to use, let us know!

Last Friday, some missionaries had their first experience teaching an investigator (someone who's interested in the church) in ASL. A lot of them felt really awkward at first, but most of them did really well! I was very proud of them. They still need lots more practice but their understanding of utilizing the "immersion" method definitely is recognized. From a teacher's viewpoint, we can tell which missionary really wants to learn the language and which ones do not want to immerse with the deaf community. We're trying to help those missionaries get better and break their comfort zone with ASL and use it with everyone!

Now, I will tell you about the benefits of knowing ASL. Just as any other language we learn, we benefit the ability to interpret between two languages. With ASL, interpreters make a lot of money and that's one benefit. Another benefit would be that you'll be able to speak with Deaf people around you and build friendships with them. Don't we all hate it when we want to speak to that person, but we can't because that person speaks a different language? I can understand that feeling, and that's why we should learn a new language for that benefit and blessing.



Isn't it cool to be able to interact with a different culture other than your own? That experience teaches us that everyone's different and they all are God's children no matter who they are. This is why we all should learn ASL, because we'll be able to help the Deaf community integrate with the world much better. As we learn ASL and teach many more others to use ASL, then this nation will recognize and uplift the Deaf community much better because of recognition. If we all learn that simple principle, we can see the blessings and benefits of that. It is very similar with the Spanish community and we can see its huge impact on this country. ASL can do this as well!

I attached a funny video to conclude this post about Video Relay Service. This is where some of the interpreters work assisting the Deaf in communicating with people through the phone. I know you'll all enjoy the cute video!



Till next time!

Austin

5 comments:

  1. I loved that video. It was interesting though because I paused my music so the sounds would not compete 9something that has become habit when I find a random clip to watch). It surprised me at first that there was no sound but then I thought about it and it made sense, why bother with sound when it was meant for deaf people. I almost turned my music back on while I watched but then decided against it, if I was going to watch a deaf video I should watch it the way they would. In a world where music and sounds are so dominant it was fun to realize there are other worlds people live in all around me that are just as entertaining and effective. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I loved the video. So cute. Thanks for sharing all this Austin. I learn something new each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I served my mission In Russia and I always wanted to communicate with the deaf. I agree we should all learn ASL to help bridge the gap. My two older sisters have taught their children (when they are babies) simple signs to help them communicate and they said it was amazing! i hope to do the same

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to and enjoy each of your posts, but I'll confess: I especially love the videos you share! They're always awesome. As someone who has learned Spanish as a second language, I am grateful for what ability I have to communicate with others that don't speak my native language. We all should be actively seeking to learn more languages, to benefit as you said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the video, as a family of hard of hearing and hearing impaired as adults, that are resistant to technology. I am convinced before my hearing is so impaired I am required to communicate by ASL, and this technology. I a SOLD. Thanks keep videos coming

    ReplyDelete