Monday, February 8, 2010

ASL Learning Methods - "Immersion" VS "Classroom"

Hi everyone!

The missionaries at the MTC have been marvelous! Their language definitely have improved in the past three to four weeks. In comparison to the ASL classes at BYU, I would put those missionaries in ASL 202. Yes, they're that good already!

This post discusses the differences between the two methods of learning ASL. The "immersion" method means that the learner is immersed in the deaf environment completely forcing them to learn the language to communicate. The "classroom" method is commonly taught in schools teaching the signs, ASL grammar and storytelling. In the MTC, we employ both methods and we find that the "immersion" method works the best for fast learning, but it can also be very frustrating, haha.

We have one elder right now who is struggling with the language. He doesn't think he will be able to grasp the language any time in the future, so he basically doesn't care. We're now done with having an interpreter in the classroom because all of them will be teaching in ASL from now on for the remaining 6 weeks. Thus, the immersion method begins! This elder finally found the "good" in this method and enjoyed it a lot. Tonight, he was very involved with the class discussions and teaching practice. For some, the classroom method teaches us in a restricted environment where we learn ASL but we don't normally use it out of the class. The immersion method allows us to experiment with the language and grasp the concept of the person signing instead of trying to understand sign by sign (like word by word).

Here's a video and it is really funny for the deaf people to watch because it deals with playing with the language, just like we all play with words.



If you're interested to see more videos of this comedian John Maucere, go to SUPERDEAFY.

I grew up skiing and I had an instructor who taught me how to parallel ski when I was younger. I was frustrated because I couldn't go up on the top of the mountain in Aspen and ski all the way to the bottom without falling. I also wanted to look good by skiing like the pros. My instructor simply put me into the trees and that scared the heck out of me. I thought I was going to die, but through that experience, I forced myself to keep my skis parallel. After that, I realized that challenging ourselves will always make our own skills much better!

This website, LifePrint, is a great resource of finding signs online. Now the question is, will it make a person a talented signer? No, it will not. We must immerse ourselves in the signing environment and learn how to utilize it properly. Not only we learn how to express in ASL, we must learn how to understand it through reception.

This is the reason why we make the missionaries VERY frustrated at the MTC because this immersion method WORKS! We know it... We live by it, and after their two years of service, and most of them become professional interpreters. From a source, a freelancer in Seattle interpreting ASL makes $55 a hour. Whoa... That's a lot of money! Those missionaries have no idea how many opportunities this language gives them for the future!

And it could make a difference for you too!

Cheers and till next week!

Austin

7 comments:

  1. Austin I really liked your analogy with skiing parallel, I just tried snowboarding a few weeks ago and was horrible. The only way to make changes is to take action and put what we've learn to a test. Thanks for the advice, you probably didn't realize you gave any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Austin. It is really true, that the way to learn a new skill is to just do it and challenge yourself. My companion on my mission had to learn ASL and she did it in three months time by the immersion method. Those missionaries are so lucky to have you as their teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember ever having an interpreter for those of us who were hearing when I was in the MTC. We just had to sign. The second week when we did the "Sign Your Language" for the whole week is when we really learned the most, although most everything was fingerspelt by those just learning. I have to say I really learned the language best when I was in the mission field. After 2 months in the field I had to train, and she was deaf, I really learned the lanuguage then!
    It has been about 25 years since I was in the MTC, but I am still in contact with most of my group. I am lucky enough to live in a Stake that has a Deaf Branch, so I am able to attend on occassion and I am friends with a lot of the people in the Branch.
    I enjoy reading your Blog, brings back some great memories. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... no interpreter? lucky. wish i could do that. maybe when the next district, we'll set that method and see what happens! we still do SYL, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Austin this is so interesting! I think it is hard to be immersed in anything but it is rewarding! I like your example about skiing... it can be hard but it is rewarding if you take the challenge and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for no interpreter in the classroom. Immersion, especially in this context, is a much better way to acquire the language. "Doing" language is far more effective than "talking about" the language. You go, AB.

    ReplyDelete