Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Interpreting

Hello again!

First of all, I wanted to tell you that the previous blog about classifiers has its "iffies" because of a new thing named depicting verbs. so, that linguistic thing will be figured out since it's all new to me! Thanks everyone!

Now, this week's topic will be about interpreting. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of how interpreting works just as i described it in my previous blog. For the deaf, we usually prefer interpreters who are understandable. Sometimes we face some interpreters that are NOT good, or those that are REALLY good. The deaf tend to fall into a habit of preference and they request for a specific interpreter just because they understand one better from another one.

Why is that? Let me share an ongoing story in the MTC right now. As of now, we have one deaf elder and sister. They require interpretation for all meetings and such, just like me. Unfortunately, the MTC isn't so great at providing quality interpreters at all times. They have the tendency to look for volunteers, which normally do not carry a certification to interpret, and end up trying to figure out the difference between the sign for chocolate and church. PATHETIC! So, the hard truth is that not everyone can interpret once they know ASL. Interpretation is a professional job and it requires a lot of work to be a good one. To express my frustration about interpreters at the MTC, they have not improved in the past 2 years.

If anyone has a meeting or a job interview with a deaf person, it is critical to get an interpreter so they can ensure the information will be exchanged from the deaf person to a hearing person and the other way around properly and professionally. Communication is a vital tool in cooperation. I strongly believe that interpreters should be talented and certified before they can officially interpret for anyone!

Of course, this doesn't mean you should back out completely of trying to help a deaf person place an order at mcdonalds. usually, it is polite to ask first if they need help, and if they allow you to do so, try your best! I feel touched when people come up to me and try to help me out with the communication issues I have sometimes during my day. To be honest, I can do it myself and most deaf people can, but if you offer them help and they accept... You're doing a good job! :D

Here's a video that shows a glimpse of a student in the intepretation program interpreting for a boot camp class. ENJOY!



It is not our goal to have the missionaries become professional interpreters after their missions. Our goal with them is to have them be fluent in ASL so they can interact and teach deaf people. Once they're fluent, they have the option of interpreting after their missions since it's a good job and pays a lot! It is not easy to become an interpreter, but once you succeed, it's worth it!

And here's a funny video of how interpreters are NOT supposed to act.



Have a great week!

Austin

5 comments:

  1. Keith Wann cracks me up! Thanks for the reminder of what I shouldn't do. :)

    I don't see anything wrong with requesting a "preferred" interpreter. I actually think it's a good thing (even if it's not me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. preference happens when there are bad interpreters. once we all have awesome ones, this "preference" thing wouldn't normally happen. it's a pain in the butt when the missionaries ask me to tell the office to call this specific interpreter and NOT to call these ones, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think changing the name of classifiers to "depicting verbs" is horribly inaccurate, as they are not ALWAYS verbs! Most of the time they are adjectives or adverbs rather than verbs. There are several different types of classifiers, however. Sigh. Love the posts, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;D thanks... i love smart women, they make my day better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting Austin. I did a research project on certified interpreters last semester. It really does make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete