Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Purpose of Learning ASL


Hello all!

The picture shown right is the sign for I LOVE YOU in ASL. It's a combination of all of the letters I, L, Y from the manual alphabet in one sign. :D

It was an interesting week for me at the MTC. The missionaries are progressing very well with ASL. They're starting to grasp the basic concept of how signs really work. Funny enough, when we describe some of the most simple words in the English language by gestures such as "car", that gesture is usually the right sign for the word "car" in ASL. They all have memorized several phrases in ASL for basic communication.

I would like to recall a story about what happened in class several days ago. When I was teaching them how to sign ASL vocabulary, we decided it was time for a language game to help them learn ASL in a fun way. We all got together and had a finger-spelling competition. Boy, it was fierce... everyone was into it and finger-spelled each word ridiculously fast! The native signers had a very easy time winning because their hands were already accustomed to spelling the manual alphabet of ASL. It was interesting to see how non-native signers learn how to spell with their hands and fingers. It's as hard as learning a new craft such as knitting or drawing figures. I felt really good because they all were enthusiastic to get better with the language. They truly understand their purpose of learning ASL in the MTC.

All of them will serve in areas with deaf people using sign language. Missionaries can choose whether if they want to learn or ignore ASL. Once they enter the field of work, they will be instantly immersed into the deaf world using ASL 90% of the day. They know that they MUST learn ASL here in the MTC. Their calling is to proselytize in ASL and they expect US to do the best as we can. Missionaries will spend the next 18-24 months using ASL most of the time, and for them to help the people understand their unique message, they have to be proficient in the proselytizing language.

Suppose you went to Italy for vacation, and you can speak a little Italian, and you get in a situation where you feel overwhelmed by its culture and language difficulties. This happens with ASL as well. The missionaries will be put into an entirely different culture, known as the Deaf Culture (the next blog will be about this), and language is not that easy to follow at first sight. It is the same with all other languages and cultures over the world.

Missionaries come to the MTC with a strong desire to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and yet, we're training them to teach deaf people using ASL. It's definitely not easy, and becoming a master teacher takes years and years of practicing and understanding the language. By their desire to serve and share His message with all deaf people in the world, they WILL learn ASL and do their best to bring the message to them like native speakers. It is true that some missionaries come home after two years being fluent in that language. I believe that this group in the MTC right now has potential that every missionary will be fluent once they finish their missions.

Here's a link to the video of a comedian who's perfectly fluent in ASL interpreting a rap song. He starts out signing exact English with no ASL. A deaf person will not understand the song until Keith Wann decides to start using ASL then the deaf people will finally understand music. Myself, I don't understand music and this is one example of how I can understand music through ASL.

VIDEO OF KEITH WANN - ICE ICE BABY

I want you to recognize the differences between signed English and ASL. It is a BIG difference, and ASL is definitely better for the deaf people. This is why the missionaries at the MTC learn ASL so they can communicate and send His message to all deaf people fluently.

One more video for your pleasure. I find it very pleasing to watch and it's in BSL (British Sign Language). DEPARTURE LOUNGE

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Austin! I took ASL 101 last year, and I really enjoyed it! But I can't imagine becoming fluent in 9 weeks, so I am excited to read more and hear how it goes as you teach at the MTC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin this is great!!! My trainer in my mission in san diego was called for a few months to work in the deaf branch. She love it!! She also taught me some gospel phrases too. I love the deaf people she introduced me too. They are so full of love!! Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. recently added a video - DEPARTURE LOUNGE.

    hailey - who was your teacher? if it is suzi holland, her husband taught me 4th grade back in colorado. :D small world.

    mandy - deaf people are awesome, but hearing people are just as awesome too! i can talk, but i don't want to, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hailey, I can't imagine being fluent in nine weeks! Best of luck, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome job to be teach missionaries sign language at the MTC. I'm looking forward to future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited about all your current and future postings. Also wanna give a shout out, you are quite the inspiration really. Good job, I love the MTC and think you teachers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is so neat! I love it already and will certainly be waiting for updates. As a novice to the world of ASL, a question for you: You mention BSL, and I imagine there are quite a few different languages within sign language. With ASL as your native language, how comparable is it to BSL, or even Japanese or French Sign Language? Are they as varied as verbal languages?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to Tutor Me - BSL is definitely different, but as you can tell, the facial expressions and such are very similar. I have a roommate who's deaf and from Japan. He uses JSL, and JSL is a complete headache for me to understand. The point is that every country has it's own sign language and it's not the same everywhere. Yes, they are varied as verbal languages. :D

    ReplyDelete